I recently picked up a copy of Randy Mosher’s Tasting Beer An Insiders Guide to the World’s Greatest Drink and I could not stop reading it once I had started. Randy had previously wrote the book Radical Brewing which should be on the bookshelf of every home brewer. This book is not just for the home brewer but it is for anyone who loves good beer. He lays out one of the more detailed history of beer and styles that I have ever read. The history is broken up by region of the world and shows how different beers progressed from there earliest forms into what we drink today. After Randy has taken you through the history of a region he gives a brief explanation of each style and recommends current beers for the different styles to come from each region. As the title of the book would suggest he also gives a detailed explanation on how to get the most out of tasting a beer. He goes in to depth about how a beer is judge at different types of competitions and how you can better expierence the different aspects of a beer home. There is also a very nice section on paring food with beer and how to present beer for serving. This is a very easy book to read through and has a lot of wonderful pictures throughout but is packed full of information. I recommend picking up this book to anyone who loves beer or anyone that want to learn more about beer. I think the qoute on the front cover by Sam Calagione, Owner of Dogfish Head Brewery, sums it up the best “Randy is a true beer evangelist… he is saving souls one pint at a time”.
- Beer of the Week: Napa Smith Brewing Lost Dog
- Another Update On the Federal Tax Increase on Beer
- Beer of the Week: He’Brew Bittersweet Lenny’s R.I.P.A.
- Beer Events of the Week
- Beer of the Week: Russian River Pliny the Elder
- Meet the Brewer at Rouges in SF
- Beer of the Week: Full Sail Slipknot
- Update on the Federal Tax Increase on Beer
- MateVeza Yerba Mate Ale Tasting
- Beer of the Week: Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere