This weeks beer of the week is Stone Brewing Belgium inspired IPA, Cali-Belgique IPA. Stone’s Cali-Belgique IPA is 6.9% abv and has 77 IBUs. The beer is named for the combination of California style (Cali) and Belgique for the Belgium style (witch is how the French speaking Belgiums pronounce it). This beer was first released in late 2008 and is a limited release 22oz bottle. Stone discribes this beer as a California IPA that grew up in Belgium. The beer pours a golden yellow color with a nice thick one inch head. The aroma of this beer is dominated by a citrus hop aroma. The beer is more carbonated then the normal IPA but it is more in line with the Belgium style. The first flavor that hits your mouth is a bitter pine hop flavor followed by that distinct hearty Belgium yeast flavor. The beer finishes with that same hop flavor that you started with. This is an amazing example of this new emerging style coming from southern California. Green Flash Brewing also does a great version of a California IPA with a Belgium yeast strain called Le Freak. Th Stone Cali-Belgique IPA can be found at your better beer stores from $5-$6.
- Beer of the Week: Napa Smith Brewing Lost Dog
- Another Update On the Federal Tax Increase on Beer
- Beer of the Week: He’Brew Bittersweet Lenny’s R.I.P.A.
- Beer Events of the Week
- Beer of the Week: Russian River Pliny the Elder
- Meet the Brewer at Rouges in SF
- Beer of the Week: Full Sail Slipknot
- Update on the Federal Tax Increase on Beer
- MateVeza Yerba Mate Ale Tasting
- Beer of the Week: Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere