This weeks Beer of the Week is Russian River Brewing Company’s flag ship beer Pliny the Elder. This beer is renowned for being one of the best Imperial IPA’s in the world. First off this beer is an Imperial IPA with 8% abv and some where around 100 IBU’s that has won gold medals at both the World Beer Cup and The Great American Beer Festival. The beer pours a hazy golden yellow with a hint of orange with a frothy one inch white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma of this beer is all pine, grass and grapefruit hop aromas and no off putting alcohol that is common in this style. The beer has a nice malt backbone but from there on it is all hops but not overwhelming. The hop flavors start with a nice citrus flavor that transform into a dry slightly bitter finish. The hop flavor will stay with you a little while after you are done with the beer. It has a nice almost smooth mouthfeel. It is very drinkable and refreshing for a beer with almost a 100 IBU’s. This is one of my favorite beers of all time but those of you who are not hop heads yet you can give Russian Rivers Blind Pig IPA a try. It has similar flavors but just on a smaller scale. Pliny The Elder can be found on tap and in 500 ml bottles all over the Bay Area and is distributed to Southern California and a couple other states.
- Beer of the Week: Napa Smith Brewing Lost Dog
- Another Update On the Federal Tax Increase on Beer
- Beer of the Week: He’Brew Bittersweet Lenny’s R.I.P.A.
- Beer Events of the Week
- Beer of the Week: Russian River Pliny the Elder
- Meet the Brewer at Rouges in SF
- Beer of the Week: Full Sail Slipknot
- Update on the Federal Tax Increase on Beer
- MateVeza Yerba Mate Ale Tasting
- Beer of the Week: Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere